Authentic cooking class in Siem Reap
A cooking class in Siem Reap is a unique experience if you want to get to know the local cuisine. If you’re in a country like Cambodia, cooking can help you get to know the country’s culture much better. You will also learn more about the special features of Cambodian cuisine and its dishes.
Our cooking classes are slightly different from those offered by restaurants and hotels. We want to offer you an authentic experience and that’s why our focus is on homemade food that is prepared together with a family. You learn above all how to cook here at home a delicious Cambodian meal.
We want to bring people together with our cooking classes in Siem Reap, which is why we have hosts all over Cambodia. In Siem Reap you can cook with a former Apsara dancer and prepare a cozy dinner in the forest near Angkor Wat.
At our cooking classes in Siem Reap you will learn how to traditionally cook a meal in a Cambodian family.
Course of the cooking course in Siem Reap:
1. On arrival at the Cambodian house, the family introduces itself to you. In most families, at least one member speaks English and will explain what to expect. You can come for lunch or dinner.
2. After the greeting you will be shown the house and usually also the garden. For some families, you can even help pick or pick the herbs and vegetables yourself. You can also learn how to breed chickens, see crocodiles or later make small souvenirs.
3. Then it goes into the kitchen for the cooking experience. Each family has selected three dishes that they want to prepare with you in the Siem Reap cooking class. In most cases there is chicken and pork or fish, but we also have two families who can prepare a vegetarian meal on request.
Many famous Cambodian dishes
4. Cooking with locals in Siem Reap: you learn how to cook on a charcoal fire, how to stir food in an Asian wok, in which order the ingredients are added to the meal. Of course you can always ask questions about authentic Khmer food, our hosts will answer the best possible.
Some dishes are:
- Soup with homemade fish balls
- Traditional amok fish, a famous Cambodian dish
- Beef Lok Lak, also very popular in Cambodia
- Not spicy curry with fish
- Chicken with fermented soybeans
5. Eating together
After cooking, of course, they eat together. We wrote a small article on customs in a Cambodian household that tells you more about how to behave properly. In Cambodia, the food is either brought to the table all at once or as it is being prepared. The rice is on an extra plate. There are rarely knives, but if you want one your host will be happy to give it to you. Our course includes drinking water or tea, some hosts also like to sell you a Coca Cola or beer.
6. Other activities
A cooking class alone can bring you closer to culture. However, we would like to help you create more memories. Our hosts can teach you the essential steps in the Apsara dance, you can make a souvenir together or bake Cambodian waffles.
The authentic cooking class in Siem Reap takes about 2 hours. Transport is not included, but it is easy to get a tuktuk in Siem Reap.
What do you need to know when attending a cooking class in Siem Reap
- Be open to new things. A kitchen in Cambodia is often outside the home. The process is a little different than you may be used to.
- Spray yourself with mosquito spray
- You are welcome to tip the hosts later.
- Our families are also happy about children
- Our cooking classes in Siem Reap are well suited for women who travel alone